Why Worrying About Interviewing Biases is Like Believing in Big Foot



People constantly worry that they will be judged negatively during an interview.  


Am I too old?  Too young?  Over qualified?  Underqualified?  Too short?  Too tall? Not good looking enough?  Will they think I'm fat?  What if they can't understand my English?  


I'll never forget my first "real" interviews during my senior year at Cornell.  I used to wear a cross everyday.  Then, one day, before a big interview, my father told my not to wear the cross to the interviews - for fear I would be judged. I hadn't even thought I could possible LOSE a job for wearing a cross.  

But I took it off.

When I counsel job seekers now, I hear things like "How do I hide my age on my resume?" or "How do I look younger and compete with millennials?" and - for some women - "How do I hide my pregnancy"?

Yup - we all have biases.  Everyone has biases.  You, me and the dreaded INTERVIEWERS.

So what do we do?  

NOTHING.  

Well, not exactly "nothing".  You cannot change other people's biases.  Most likely, they aren't even aware they have them.  There's only one thing you can do - BE CONFIDENT.  

Do you believe in Big Foot?

The important question is: do YOU believe you are too young, old underqualified, overqualified, too fat, too skinny, too tall, etc?  If so, your perception negating your self-confidence and undermining your opportunity to get the job.  Cause if you believe it, it's true.  And the interviewer will believe it too.  But why give them extra ammo to believe?
As you develop an interview strategy, renew your energy.  Think like an athlete.  Refocus.  Shed the losses.  Shed the guilt.  Shed the past.  Leave any lingering doubts, self-doubts or suspicions behind.  Forget about how you have been “wronged” and move forward.  That is the only way to ace the interview.  Companies take advantage of weakness – and self-doubt is a weakness.
BusinessInsider published an article on what successful people do to get centered.  Exercise.  Focus.  Meditation.  Being grateful.  All of these will help you stay confident.

Studies upon studies show that the most important factor in achieving a successful professional and personal life is the strength of one’s character.  
Assuming the world is against us defeats our purpose and minimizes our chances of success.  This larger-than-life “chip on the shoulder” is blatantly visible.  And, the chip does not encourage success.  The chip does not encourage others to offer us opportunities, recognize our value and compensate us appropriately.  Without confidence, achieving your own definition of success becomes unattainable.  Being confident means being certain that your chosen course of action is the best or most effective.  If you have little or weak self-confidence, you will constantly question your choices, career path or strategies.  Without self-confidence, you can’t succeed.
The WORST thing you can do is go into an interview nervous, self-conscious and self-doubting - in any way, shape or form.  If you do, those feelings will come across - and quickly - during the interview.  So BE CONFIDENT in yourself BEFORE you interview.  Get your swagger back.  Believe in yourself.  Pump yourself up.  

BELIEVE.

Forget about Big Foot.
Believe in YOU and others will too.

Rise to the Top

No comments:

Post a Comment